CS:GO Won't Open [Troubleshooting Guide]
Don't you hate it when your game won't launch? Yeah, we do too. That's why we prepared some unusual solutions (other than restarting/reinstalling the game) to save your gaming session! So, if any of the most common methods didn't work, check out these:
Delete The Steam Download Cache
And we're not talking de_cache, of course.
Sometimes the Steam download cache can be corrupted, which can result in different game problems. Clearing your Steam download cache is a potential fix for different problems. This doesn't harm your installed games, but you might need to log into Steam again afterward. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Steam and go to the top menu
- Select Steam then click Settings to open the Settings panel
- Go to the Downloads section
- Press the Clear Download Cache at the bottom
Click OK to confirm it.
Create An Autoexec Config
The wrong settings can give you performance problems. Creating an autoexec config ensures the game always uses the right settings, and it's simple to do; you can do it through your Windows Notepad app. Here's how:
- Go to your Steam library and right click Counter-Strike: Global Offensive then click Properties
- Click Browse Local Files
- Double click on csgo then go to cfg
- Right on empty space and click New then choose to make a new Text Document. Name this autoexec.txt
- Open the file (make sure it opens with Notepad) and write or paste the commands you want to use
- As the last line of commands, write host_writeconfig as the last line (Notepad++ would do this automatically)
- Save As and rename the file as autoexec.cfg
Once the config is ready, you need to go back to the Steam Library and make one more change to ensure the game uses it.
- Right click Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and click Properties
- Click Set Launch Options
- Write +exec autoexec.cfg and then click OK
- Launch the game
Steam Launch Options Commands
And lastly, you should also consider going for some of the best Launch Option commands! We especially recommend the "-d3d9ex -nojoy -autoconfig" configuration. Here's what these commands do exactly:
And you should now be good! Besides the standard PC restarts etc., these are one of the best methods to use when you can't launch CS:GO in 2022.